Super Automatic Cleaning & Maintenance
Like a car, your espresso machine is an investment whose performance and longevity depend on proper care and operation. To help ensure that you get the most out of your machine, we have outlined several key maintenance procedures that will help to keep it brewing and steaming properly. The following information applies to most of our Super-Automatic espresso machines, unless indicated otherwise.
Brew Group Chamber Cleaning:
Because Super-Automatic machines grind, tamp, brew, and dispose of grounds internally, over time, water and ground coffee collect in the drip tray and dreg drawer and will need to be disposed of. While Gaggia Super-Automatic machines feature maintenance alerts to inform you when they need to be emptied, it’s a good habit to empty your machine’s drip tray and dreg drawer after each use. Additionally, coffee from the grinder may be thrown into the brew group chamber, which should be wiped out on a regular basis.
Brew Group Cleaning and Lubrication:
- Remove the brew unit from the machine.
- Thoroughly clean the brew unit with dish soap and warm water by hand. Remove as much of the old lubricant as is possible. Do not place the brew unit in the dishwasher, as hot water can cause the brew unit to warp.
- The center of the brew unit is the part that cycles when the machine is brewing coffee or performing a rinse cycle. The brew unit pictured below has been taken apart and the small channels where lubricant needs to be applied are highlighted in red.
- You do not need to disassemble the brew unit in order to properly lubricate it. You can use your finger or a small brush to generously apply the lubricant to these channels.
- After applying lubricant to these channels, you can return the brew unit to your espresso machine.
- Your brew unit is now properly lubricated.
- Gaggia Decalcifying Solution
- One container that will hold the same amount of liquid as your water reservoir
- Another small container to catch water from the group head
The following Gaggia Super-Automatic Machines feature automatic descaling cycles:
Accademia, Titanium, Titanium Office, Syncrony Compact Digital, Syncrony Digital, Platinum Swing, Platinum Swing Up, Platinum Vision
The following Gaggia Super-Automatic Machines require that you descale them manually with the following process:
Syncrony Logic, Syncrony Compact, Brera, Platinum Vogue, Unica
- Remove the machine’s water reservoir and empty all of the liquid from it.
- Mix or dilute your Gaggia Decalcifying Solution according to the directions in a separate container.
- Fill the reservoir with the solution.
- Reattach the water reservoir to the machine.
- Turn the machine on.
- Set a large container underneath the steam wand to collect the decalcifying solution.
- Set another container underneath the brew spout to collect more of the decalcifying solution.
- If necessary, set your machine to dispense hot water through the steam arm and run 8oz of solution through it.
- Run the remaining solution through the brew spouts.
- Remove and rinse your water reservoir thoroughly.
- Refill the water reservoir with clean water and reattach it to your machine.
- Run the entire reservoir through the brew spouts. Refill the reservoir and run the water through the steam arm.
- Your machine has now successfully been decalcified.